The Geoboard app is a tool for exploring a variety of mathematical topics introduced in the elementary and middle grades. Learners stretch bands around the pegs to form line segments and polygons and make discoveries about perimeter, area, angles, congruence, fractions, and more.
This virtual version of the manipulative is an open-ended educational tool, ideal for elementary classrooms and other learning environments that use laptops, Apple devices, or Chromebooks.
- Create line segments and polygons by stretching bands around the Geoboard’s pegs.
- Choose from 8 different band colors.
- Fill individual shapes with a transparent color, or use the Fill All button to toggle all the bands between filled and unfilled.
- Switch between the standard 25-peg square board, a rectangular board with 150 pegs, or a circular board with 13 pegs. The circular board enables explorations with angles, fractions, and time measurement.
- Duplicate shapes then move, rotate, or flip them to explore symmetry and congruency.
- Change the color of selected bands.
- Display grid lines with or without numbering to more easily calculate area and identify shape locations.
- Hide and reveal work with resizable covers to create your own problems and model strategies.
- Use the drawing tools to annotate work and show understanding.
- Add equations, expressions, and descriptions with the math text and writing tools.
- Share your work by saving an image or url, or providing a sharing code to others. Great for creating the initial setup of an activity, then sharing it with students so they can explore it further.
Get more from this app
The Geoboard app was made possible by a generous donation from Dr. David Moursund.
Technical Support and Feedback
This app was crafted by Clarity Innovations: “We improve teaching and learning by creating solutions that match promising technologies with the needs of education.” For app support and feedback, contact them at www.clarity-innovations.com/apps.
© 2021 The Math Learning Center