Money Pieces helps students visualize and understand money values and relationships. Two versions of coins and bills are provided: virtual currency pieces that replicate the appearance and relative size of U.S. coins and the dollar bill, and area money pieces.
Area money pieces represent the values of coins and the dollar bill using an area model in which 1 square unit is equal to 1 penny. Nickels, dimes, quarters, and half dollars are represented by collections of squares equal to their value. In this way, the area pieces can be used to model and compute with fractions and decimals.
This virtual version of our money value pieces is an open-ended educational tool, ideal for elementary classrooms and other learning environments that use laptops, iPads, or Chromebooks.
- Switch between currency and area money pieces.
- Exchange money for different bill or coin values.
- Show either side (heads or tails) of the currency or money pieces.
- Hide and reveal work with resizable covers to create your own problems and model strategies.
- Use the drawing tools to annotate work and show understanding.
- Add equations, expressions, and descriptions with the math text and writing tools.
- Share your work by saving an image or providing a share code to others.
- Money Value Pieces, Cardstock
- Money Value Pieces, Cardstock (Set of 8)
- Money Value Pieces, Magnetic
- Plastic Coins
Technical Support and Feedback
This app was crafted by Clarity Innovations: “We improve teaching and learning by creating solutions that match promising technologies with the needs of education.” For app support and feedback, contact them at www.clarity-innovations.com/apps.
© 2021 The Math Learning Center