Bridges in Mathematics Family Support: Grade 5
In grade 5 math, your child will:
- Use models and strategies to divide 2- and 3-digit numbers by 2-digit numbers, with and without remainders. (Students are not expected to use the standard long division algorithm until sixth grade.)
- Add and subtract fractions with unlike denominators
- Multiply fractions and divide fractions in simple cases
- Measure volume
- Explain patterns in the number of zeros and the placement of the decimal point in the answer when multiplying or dividing by powers of 10
- Read, write, round, compare, add & subtract, multiply & divide decimals
- Multiply multi-digit whole numbers
- Locate and graph points on a coordinate plane
Bridges Unit Overviews
The following selection of games and activities will help your child practice these skills at home.
Fractions & Decimals
MathTappers: Estimate Fractions In this free App for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad, students relate fractions (symbols and pictures) to the nearest half. Then they use fraction estimates in addition & subtraction problems. Excellent game to use while on the go.
Slide to the Top Order numbers on a number line as quickly as possible. Choose the fraction or fraction/decimal mode.
Cubes Fill a box with cubes, rows of cubes, or layers of cubes. Click on the flattened sides of the box to see what the box looks like folded up.
3-D Shapes In this futuristic mission, players use knowledge of 3-D shapes to escape Roboidz.
The links below contain some of the best games for elementary math students to play at home. Look through the sites to find other games for your child.
ABCya! The math games on this site, modeled from primary grade lessons, were approved of or created by teachers.
Calculation Nation The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Illuminations site hosts over 10 games that includes notes for parents. Students can either register and challenge other players online or use the "guest pass" button to enter the game list and play against the computer. Designed for upper elementary and middle grades.
Johnnie's Math Page Use this online index to find hundreds of interactive math games on the web, organized by concept.
National Library of Virtual Manipulatives Organized by grade band and math concept, this Utah State University site contains a wide selection of virtual manipulatives.
Other Helpful Information
- Fifth Grade Parents' Guide to Student Success from the National PTA. Available in English and Spanish.
- Articles at the Math Learning Center blog
Disclaimer: The external resource links and product information provided on these pages are for the user's benefit and convenience. The Math Learning Center does not guarantee the accuracy, security, functionality, or completeness of external media, websites, products or services. Furthermore, the inclusion of these links and product information is not intended as an endorsement of the associated content, products and services, or organizations. All product names, trademarks, and registered trademarks referenced in these resources are property of their respective owners. Please note, some external resources may be incompatible with some devices.