Number Pieces Basic helps students develop a deeper understanding of place value while building their computation skills with multi-digit numbers. Students use the pieces to represent multi-digit numbers, regroup, add, and subtract.
Two versions of the app are available depending on the grade level and concepts to be explored. Number Pieces Basic is a simplified version for use with primary students. It has fewer features, putting greater focus on place value, counting, addition, and subtraction. With Number Pieces, students can represent larger numbers and multiplication and division concepts.
This virtual version of our Base Ten Area Pieces is an open-ended educational tool, ideal for elementary classrooms and other learning environments that use laptops, iPads, Chromebooks, or Windows devices.
- Add and manipulate pieces (ones, tens, and hundreds).
- Join pieces in groups of ten or break them apart (e.g., 10 ones into 1 ten and vice versa).
- Choose from three different colors to clearly identify groups or pieces.
- Move, rotate, and duplicate pieces individually or as a group.
- Use the drawing tools to label representations and show understanding.
- Write equations and expressions with the text tool.
Get more from this app
Number Pieces Basic was made possible by a generous donation from Dr. David Moursund.
Technical Support and Feedback
These apps were crafted by Clarity Innovations: “We improve teaching and learning by creating solutions that match promising technologies with the needs of education.” For app support and feedback, contact them at www.clarity-innovations.com/apps.
© 2017 The Math Learning Center