Use virtual base ten pieces to represent and work with multi-digit numbers.
Number Pieces, a virtual set of base ten pieces, helps students develop a deeper understanding of place value while building their computation skills. Use the pieces to represent single-, double-, and triple-digit numbers. Join pieces together or break pieces apart to visualize regrouping. Build arrays with number pieces to explore multiplication and division.
This virtual version of the manipulative is an open-ended educational tool, ideal for elementary classrooms and other learning environments that use laptops, iPads, or Chromebooks.
- Add and manipulate number pieces (ones, tens, and hundreds).
- Choose from three different colors to clearly identify groups or pieces.
- Join pieces in groups of ten or break them apart.
- Use the expanding edge piece like a measuring tape to show the dimensions of arrays created with the pieces.
- Share your work by saving an image or creating an 8-character code and link to send to others.
Number Pieces was made possible by a generous donation from Dr. David Moursund.
Technical Support and Feedback
These apps were crafted by Clarity Innovations: “We improve teaching and learning by creating solutions that match promising technologies with the needs of education.” For app support and feedback, contact them at www.clarity-innovations.com/apps.
© 2021 Math Learning Center