Number pieces help students develop a deeper understanding of place value while building their computation skills with multi-digit numbers. Students use the pieces to represent multi-digit numbers, regroup, add, subtract, multiply, and divide.
This virtual version of our Base Ten Area Pieces is an open-ended educational tool, ideal for elementary classrooms and other learning environments that use laptops, iPads, Chromebooks, or Windows devices.
- Add and manipulate pieces (ones, tens, and hundreds).
- Change the starting set of pieces to a basic or an advanced set.
- Join pieces in groups of ten or break them apart (e.g., 10 ones into 1 ten and vice versa).
- Use the expanding edge piece like a measuring tape to show the dimensions of arrays created with the pieces.
- Choose from three different colors to clearly identify groups or pieces.
- Move, rotate, and duplicate pieces individually or as a group.
- Use the drawing tools to label representations and show understanding.
- Add equations, expressions, and descriptions with the math text and writing tools.
- Zoom and scroll to work with larger collections of pieces.
- Share your work by saving an image or url, or providing a sharing code to others. Great for creating the initial setup of an activity, then sharing it with students so they can explore it further.
Get more from this app
Number Pieces & Number Pieces Basic were made possible by a generous donation from Dr. David Moursund.
Technical Support and Feedback
These apps were crafted by Clarity Innovations: “We improve teaching and learning by creating solutions that match promising technologies with the needs of education.” For app support and feedback, contact them at www.clarity-innovations.com/apps.
© 2017 Math Learning Center